Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Poetic Nostalgia

So last night, I was talking to my great-grandlittle, and I was trying to explain to him that I understood how he felt, and I ended up showing him a few of my poems that I had written in high school that perfectly described the situation (both then and now). I ended up re-reading a lot of my poetry from the past 4 years and realized that a lot of it was pretty decent writing. A few of them made me tear up, because there are so many memories attached to those poems. I realized that I've been through a lot, and that I have a lot of wisdom to share with the younger kids, but until recently, I wasn't ready to trek through those memories again to be able to share my experiences. I'm slowly being able to talk about the really emotional times I've been through, and surprisingly, there are more people out there that had similar experiences than I had thought.

I've also been thinking a lot lately about growing up, and how I've grown in the last 4 years. If you ask someone what I was like when I came to VT as a freshman, you'd hear them describe someone who is little like I am now. I've been forced to grow up, both by who I have associated myself with, and the drama I've gotten caught up in. And surprisingly, I like who I am, finally. It took what seemed like forever, but I'm finally happy with myself. And I have many, many friends to thank for that - for both the good and the bad times that have shaped me. I will never forget the times that have made me who I am today. <3

If you care to read any of my poetry, it can be found here:
http://www.fictionpress.com/~rhapsodyinpurple

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, Sharon, I still have the Drum Major poem you wrote the three of us. It always reminds me of good times in LBMB. =)
-Sarah