Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Journal of the Future

Today, I think I shall blog about blogs.

Blogs are today's version of written journals. I'm sure many people my age wrote in journals or diaries every night before bed to write down the day's occurrences or to lust over the cute guy/girl in math class. Now add technology, and the constant need to be in contact with everyone. This leads me to blogs. Some people use their blogs like a regular journal, others use them to post their artwork or business. There are many types of blogs available to suit your fancy.

So what will we use in the future to recount our activities, to keep in touch with our friends? If technology continues to change at the pace it has been in the recent decades, we won't even have to blog or write, because we'll all be telepathic and know what all of our friends are thinking. Now that's just a bit weird to me.

I rather enjoy getting those pesky emails from Facebook that tell me that I've been tagged in a picture or that my friend wrote on my wall or sent me a message. It means that someone out there cares enough to make an effort to contact me, even if only to say hi, because we haven't talked in a while.

I also enjoy snail mail. I think I'm going to start mailing birthday cards to my friends. Even if they don't send anything back, I feel like it's more personal to send a handwritten message than a simple "happy birthday" over the internet. It makes me feel good inside to know that I made someone's day because I took an extra few minutes and a 42-cent stamp to mail them a card. But maybe I'm just old-fashioned. :)

No comments: